Meet Charlotte - Ornate Box Turtle!
Length: ~~5" long.
Adoption Fee: $55
Charlotte was found stray. She is a lively ornate, ready for a secure pen of her own.
View Specific Care needs!
Habitat Guidelines: Outdoor Pens for Box Turtles
- pen must be predator-proof as appropriate to your area (dog, raccoon, fox, skunk, coyote, etc.)
- fencing must be opaque, at least 12" high, and buried at least 4" in substrate
- in Colorado, nighttime low temperatures should be at least 45F by May 15th and turtles should be able to live outdoors for at least 5 months of the year
- minimum size for one or two turtles/small tortoises: 36 sq. ft.; Three: 50 sq. ft.
- recessed water dish accessible from all sides for entry and exit
- artificial or natural hides (one for each turtle plus one additional)
- brush pile for burrowing
- live vegetation
- CoRHS recommendations: Spiderwort(Tradescantia ssp. ), strawberry, squash, sunflower, dandelion, globe mallow, bindweed, grasses
- for a list of toxic plants to avoid, please see the California Turtle & Tortoise Club's list of poisonous plants: www.tortoise.org/general/poi sonp.html
- areas of shade and areas of morning sun
- males should not outnumber females